So it’s a bit grey outside…
And it looks like it will stay like this for the rest of the week… pero like don’t let it get to you! There’s still plenty of fun, interesting things around the city despite the crushing humidity and rainy weather. Read on to discover our rainy day to-do list in the Magic City.
Ice skating?! You might be asking yourself… and I say to you — yes, ice skating. It might feel like it’s a bit late in the year to go ice skating, but Miami Beach’s Basement nightclub is home to a neon ice rink that is perfect for ice-skating all year round, plus, it’s indoors! The 2,000-foot-square ice rink at Basement feels a bit like a retro roller blading ring, and it looks totally awesome with its technicolor lights, neon lights and loud music. Not to mention it also makes for an incredible photo op!
And if you’re not into skating, Basement also has some pretty awesome bowling lanes, which are nothing short of wonderful! Like the rink, these are always lit up in colorful bright lights for a totally fun and original experience.
2-14. Check out one of Miami’s many museums…
Miami’s art scene is currently packed full of things to see all the way from history museums to contemporary art ones! The rainy weather makes for the perfect opportunity to explore all of the city’s artistic treasures indoors! Plus if you get lucky you could check them out on their free admission day!
- Bass Museum of Art – Free on the last Sunday of the month from 2 to 4 p.m.
- Gold Coast Railroad Museum– Free admission every first Saturday of the month from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- HistoryMiami Museum – Family Fun Day, the second Saturday of each month, offers free admission all day.
- Holocaust Memorial Miami Beach – This outdoor spot is free to the public and is dedicated to the 6 million lives lost during the holocaust. It’s open all year long, from 9:30 a.m. to sunset.
- Institute of Contemporary Art – Offers free access always as well as free guided tours which are available every day at 1 p.m.
- Jewish Museum of Florida – Free admission every Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- MDC Museum of Art and Design (MOAD) – Located at the Historic Freedom Tower, MOAD offers free admission on the last Sunday of every month from 1 to 6 p.m.
- Miami Children’s Museum – Free on the third Friday of the month from 4 to 8 p.m. One Saturday per month, the museum is also reserved from 9 to 11 a.m. for children with disabilities.
- Museum of Contemporary Art North Miami (MOCA) – Entry is donation based on the last Friday of the month when you can access by paying the amount you want from 7 to 10 p.m. They also offer free jazz concerts in their courtyard beginning at 8 p.m.
- Patricia and Phillip Frost Art Museum – Offers free admission always as well as free guest lectures by leading artists, historians, and scholars throughout the year.
- Perez Art Museum Miami – Admission is free every second Saturday of the month.
- Wolfsonian-FIU– Offers free admission every Friday from 6 to 9 p.m.
15-18. Or an awesome exhibit!
Miami is currently full of amazing immersive experiences and exhibits to check out and like museums these are an awesome and super fun way of stay dry and cozy inside!
- The Social Hub, Brickell’s Selfie Museum — This new “selfie museum” and art installation in Brickell City Center is the perfect spot to add a little spice to your selfie game.
- Van Gogh: The Immersive Experience — Watch Van Gogh’s masterpieces come alive in this mesmerizing exhibit that has just opened in Downtown Miami!
- Womanish Experience — An inspiring new exhibit celebrating and imagined by women.
- Superblue Miami — This new immersive art center recently opened its doors in Allapatah and it looks absolutely magical
So Nicky Jam won’t actually be there… unless you count his giant portrait hanging from the wall.. BUT this place is totally worth checking out for some over-the-top, day-to-night breakfast food! On its menu, you’ll find mouthwatering options like Nicky Jam’s favorite pancakes stacked high with dulce de leche and bananas, tiramisu coffee waffles covered with sweet mascarpone cheese and even sweet-and-savory pancakes topped with bacon, egg, and cheese!
Did you know North Miami Beach is home to one of the oldest buildings on this side of the world?! Originally built in Spain back in the 12th century, the Monastery of Bernard of Clairvaux is almost 800 years older than the Magic City itself. This Medieval gem now lies tucked away in a peaceful corner of North Miami Beach, but to get to us today it has been through some serious history!
If you’re a literature lover then you might want to take a quick trip up to Fort Lauderdale. William Chrisant & Sons’ Old Florida Book Shop holds over 30,000 volumes of old, rare books, illustrated tomes, vintage magazines, antique maps and basically all kinds of art book you could imagine. Despite the drive, this little nook is perfect for sheltering from the rainy weather!
Every weather is ice cream weather, especially when it rains and gets humid and hot and it’s summer in Miami. These 10 incredible spots offers the best scoops in the city! Check them out here.
Frothy crema, uber-sweet demerara sugar and freshly-brewed espresso… there’s nothing quite like our beautiful cafecito! Add a little kick to the dreary day with a delicious cup of Cuban coffee and… why not… some croquetas or pastelitos while you’re at it!
A great and fun idea to stay indoors, and also because there’s nothing more satisfying than sipping on cocktails at a bar you’ve spent ages trying to find!
Perfect if you’re stuck indoors with your family and don’t know what to do! A boutique-style indoor complex, FunDimension, exercises imaginations with myriad family-friendly attractions ranging from bumper cars to arcade games. Relax in one of the lounge’s plush seats and sip on wine or beer while your kids take advantage of all that FunDimension has to offer. This 15,000 square foot air-conditioned facility, features an indoor playground, laser tag arena, bumper cars, virtual reality, and arcade games perfect for children of all ages! ¡
26-29. Get your fill of comfort food.
A row of rainy days can take a toll on the spirit, one sure-fire way to get your spirits back up is by noshing on good eats.
- Best pancakes in the city — We understand you might not want to enjoy your pancakes in batter-covered clothes (or kitchens), so here are 10 Miami spots in which to enjoy some fluffy, stack-worthy pancakes!
- Best pizza in the city — Just a list of some of the best places around the city where you can enjoy a pie in all of its ooey-gooey, cheesy and crispy glory!
- Miami Diner — The newest addition to the Downtown restaurant scene, this restaurant serves up major 50’s diner vibes and scrumptious-looking comfort food classics with a Miami twist.
[Featured image: Instagram/ @themiamidiner ]