Love it or hate it, Miami is truly unique. From its diverse and quirky residents to its offbeat traditions and tropical climate, there is a lot that can surprise you if you’re new to the Magic City.
So we took to Facebook and Instagram to ask our followers: “What’s something that’s considered totally normal in Miami… but not anywhere else?” As expected, your answers did not disappoint. Here are some of the best responses.
1. Miami Time™️ (we’re not late, you’re simply just early!)
2. Winter coat and gloves when the temps dip below 60°.
3. Never ever using your turn signals….
4. Stopping in the middle of a main street or busy intersection to let people out of their cars.
5. Driving with the windows down and AC on.
6. Cafecito at all hours of the day.
7. Making colada for your co-workers and going around asking is someone wants a shot. ☕️ 🙂
8. Taking a nap at 10pm in case you want to go out later.
9. Taping your windows before a hurricane.
10. Collecting Flanigan’s cups (bonus points if you have a pink one).
11. Everything you talk about starts with el….
12. Pero like…
13. Hurricane parties.
14. Paying $50 for parking.
15. Sitting at a green light.
16. Waking up at 3am to go to Space.
18. Leaving for a night out and not coming back home for another 24hrs.
19. Frozen iguanas.
@veroo.lopezz Winters in Florida. My dad trying to rescue them 😬. #winter #floridalife #floridathings #fallingiguanas #sunshinestate #resuce #fyp ♬ original sound – soucitigrafix
20. Honking in less than a second after a light changes to green.
21. Blinker to the LEFT but THEY turn to the RIGHT. 😂
22. Sitting at the same light for 3 cycles.
23. Random chickens crossing the street. (You’ve heard of stray dogs, now get ready for… stray chickens)
24. Not advancing in the intersection to turn left…
25. Hoodies & Shorts in 90 degree weather.
26. Street vendors selling mamoncillo and churros.
27. Kissing on the cheek as a greeting.
28. The over use of the word bro.
29. QUE LO QUE, QUE LO QUE.
30. I think we’re probably the only city in the US where people in businesses speak to you in Spanish before English and it’s perfectly fine. Everyone is assumed to be Latino. 🤪🤣
31. Socks with sandals.
32. Wear a bikini to the grocery store cause its on the way.
33. Strip clubs open 24/7.
34. BBL, Botox and filler capital!
35. Literally everything. This place is the Twilight Zone.
Bonus: Taking to the streets to bang pots and pans in celebration.
The Miami Cuban urge to bang on pots and pans to celebrate anything. 🍳💥📣💃🏻
— Jenny Lorenzo 🇨🇺✨ (@JENNIZZLES) December 3, 2021