The moon is one celestial sighting that never fails to impress, but imagine looking up at TWO moons! Internationally renowned touring artwork, Museum of the Moon, is coming to downtown Coral Gables this month, so get ready to be dazzled under this giant glowing installation.
Measuring seven meters (23 feet) in diameter, the moon is a massive piece of art by UK artist Luke Jerram that features detailed NASA imagery of the lunar surface. Each centimeter of the internally lit sculpture represents five kilometres of the moon’s surface.
It’s hit up a few spots before — from the Bristol Cathedral in the United Kingdom to the Beijing Olympic Water Cube — and now, it’ll reside in Miami on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, from March 9-25.
And while you can gaze at the floating moon and take incredible photos of it, you can also catch live music, a screening of E.T., moonlight yoga, a Goodnight Moon Pajama Party and a Howling at the Moon event for dogs and their owners, among others.
It’s all part of an art experience, “Moon Over the Gables”, presented by the City of Coral Gables and the Coral Gables Community Foundation – the team behind the unforgettable Umbrella Sky event on Giralda Plaza.
“Moon Over the Gables” will be temporarily set up at Fred B. Hartnett/Ponce Circle Park. The installation will be up on March 9-11, March 16-18 and March 23-25, which is pretty much an excuse to visit multiple times during the month.
Here is a full schedule of events:
- Thursday, March 9 – Opening night will live music by Los Wizards
- Friday, March 10 – Movie Under the Moon: “E.T.”
- Saturday, March 11 – Dancing in the Moonlight
- Thursday, March 16 – Full Moon Yoga
- Friday, March 17 – St. Patrick’s Day Celebration
- Saturday, March 18 – Goodnight Moon Pajama Party
- Thursday, March 23 – Howl at the Moon: Leashed dogs event
- Friday, March 24 – Picnic Under the Moon
- Saturday, March 25 – Closing Night Jam with live music by Guerra Grooves
WHEN: Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, March 9-10-11; March 16-17-18; and March 23-24-25
WHERE: 2801 Ponce de Leon Blvd, Coral Gables