The liveliest bar on Calle Ocho wants to teach you how to dance salsa and bachata with free lessons all monthlong and we’ve got all the info you need to show up and get your groove on! As part of their weekly Little Havana Under the Stars event every Thursday, the classes for salsa start at 9 p.m. and you can begin to dance the night away.
Instructors Rene Rodriguez and Lidia Llanes take dancing to the next level and you don’t even have to worry if you’re a beginner – everyone is welcome to join in on the dance floor! You’ll start with basic steps and work your way up to more complex routines. And for single folks who are discouraged from showing up alone; no partners are needed! All you need is yourself.
Live music is the focal point at Ball & Chain, after all, so you’ll dance alongside live music and fabulous DJ sets throughout the night until 12 a.m.
It doesn’t end there. Free salsa lessons commence on Salsero Sundays and Caramelo Wednesdays with sets by DJ Jorge Charun.
Chances are you’ve probably stepped in here to get your groove on to some salsa, but bachata is the newest addition to their August roster, giving you a chance to learn the art that is native to the Dominican Republic. On Bachatatuesdays every, well, Tuesday, there will be a free bachata class starting at 9 p.m. with a DJ set by Jorge Charun once more. You’re guaranteed to go from clumsy to confident when it comes to your moves within just one night!
When you need a break from all the dancing (or simply need the courage to dance with a cocktail), take a seat in one of the historic venue’s leather banquettes, and ask for a menu because there’s a tempting new one that includes traditional favorites and some twists on classics. There’s something for everyone to choose from, from proteins to fresh salads, as well as vegetarian options.
They’ll continue to offer authentic Cuban dishes such as the Ropa Vieja, Masitas de Puerco and B&C Elote; while the menu expansion includes the new Dry Rub Skirt Steak, Vegetarian Cuban Tacos, Exotica Pineapple Salad and more.
Ball & Chain originally opened in 1935 and was famous for having legendary artists of the day grace its stage, including Billie Holiday, Count Basie and Chet Baker. Located at 1513 SW 8th St., it officially reopened in November of 2021, returning with the best music, live entertainment, salsa dancing and cocktails, like it never left.
Here’s the full rundown on Ball & Chain’s August programming:
- Every Day – Ball & Chain Trio, plays from noon to 6 p.m., followed by renowned percussionist Miguel Cruz
from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Sundays – Salsero Sundays feature free salsa lessons and sets by Jorge Charun from 8 pm to closing.
- Mondays – Mambo Mondays with sets by DJ VILA from 9 pm until closing.
- Tuesdays – Bachatuesdays will feature a free Bachata class starting at 9 pm with a DJ set by Jorge Charun until closing.
- Wednesdays – Caramelo Wednesdays feature free salsa lessons with sets by Jorge Charun starting at 8pm until closing.
- Thursdays – Little Havana Under the Stars, free salsa classes and DJ sets by El Russo from 8 pm until closing.
- Fridays – Miami Boheme and sets by DJ OZZ that go from 8 pm until closing.
- Saturdays – Ball & Chain’s La Pachanga party with a set by DJ Danis la Clave from 8 pm until closing.
With events planned for every night, there’s no doubt that this is the place to be to spend your evenings. Visit their website for more information.